Saturday, January 8, 2011

She's being difficult


My dog is very annoying. I can't take her on what you would call a "walk". All she does is sniff. She'll walk 10 feet and stop and sniff, then she'll squat and pee. Over and over and over. After 10 or 15 squats I'm sure she's empty, but she still tries to leave her symbolic "Emma was here" calling card anyway. I'm thinking she's a narcissist. After a few block of this I get fed up and start pulling her forward. Sometimes she'll drop anchor and try to hold her ground, but as I outweigh her 215 to 18, I win. Sometimes.

Often we'll get to a corner and I'll want to go one way and she'll want to go another, so she'll tug hard and look at me with those big brown eyes as if to say, "I really want to go this way, dad. Pleeeeeease? There's some really cool smells down there." As I'm a sucker for big expressive brown eyes, I'll usually cave.

Just once I'd like to walk in a straight line for a few blocks. I've almost forgotten what that would feel like.

S

No comments:

Post a Comment